A World of Useless Information

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I love TV


I watched the last episode of Friends the other night and was wondering how many people tuned into to watch the series finale. As I was looking for the number of viewers I found some other very interesting information that I found online and in a USA Today report in 2006. (click here to read the entire article)

Top 10 most viewed TV show series finales
click on picture to see large image

I was surprised to see MASH topping the list and blowing all others out of the water!
  • 2006 marked the first time that there were more television sets in a home then people, TV sets per home 2.75, people per household
  • The average person watches 4 hours and 35 minutes of television a day, that adds up to more then 1500 hours per year
  • By the age of 20 the average viewer will have seen over 600,000 commercials
  • The Super Bowl is the most popular broadcast of the year
  • In 2008, a 30 second advertising slot during the Super Bowl cost $2.7 million
  • In 2008 the Advertising Age Annual reported the following revenue from the top cable companies. Figures are in billions
1. Time Warner ($6.97)
2. Walt Disney Co. ($6.75)
3. Viacom ($5.51)
4. News Corp. ($3.84)
5. NBC Universal ($2.91)

Needless to say that we watch a lot of TV. After reading the articles that I found, I came to the realization that I need to watch less TV.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friends is still a frequent show watched in my house. I got my little brother addicted. I re-started the seasons and am on four right now. haha miss ya! Tell Megan I say hi!

TheStewside said...

I will make sure that I tell her hello.

TR said...

Friends is possibly the most overrated show of all time. Don't get me wrong, it was funny but nothing like Cheers or Seinfeld. Friends is about the same as King of Queens.