A World of Useless Information

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My first official album design

I have a couple friends that are getting popular in the local Hip-Hop scene her in Utah. They have been doing shows in Provo and Salt Lake City quite often and they are getting a good fan base.
One of my buddies, Erik Frederikson aka Rapid, asked me to design the artwork for his new album knowing that I mess around with Photoshop but mainly GIMP. (For anyone that does not know what GIMP is, Check it out here. It is a free image manipulation program that has tons of great features.)
Going into the project I though that I was a capable GIMP user but I quickly learned that was not the case. So, for the last 3 or 4 weeks I have been working on the album cover of the CD and the insert artwork for him. It was really fun and also very frustrating for me to do, because so many times there was something that I wanted to do with the image or make it look a certain way and I just could not get it to work. As you can imagine I spent lots of time reading online help guides and watching some video tutorials. These helped me to get the artwork to look the way that I wanted, and I think that it came out quite nice. Erik really liked it and that is all that matters. He released his album on April 14th, 2008. If you happen to like Hip-Hop let me know and I can get you a copy of his album.
I wanted to show off my so called skills for you all.

Cover of- Rapid Development
Album insert
CD

Again, for anyone looking for a photo editing program, I highly recommend GIMP. It is free and will allow you to make your photos look the way you want.

4 comments:

TR said...

You wear many hats, Brad. Loan officer, landscape professional, graphic artist, account consultant? Nice work on the artwork!

Mandy said...

I have to agree with my husband. Is there anything you can't do? What a good friend you are!!

Josh said...

WOW, that looks pretty sweet man. I would be interested to hear some of his music. The artwork though is something else. I would agree with Mandy and Ty, is there anything you don't know how to do?

Nice work man. Pretty cool.

Russell said...

Bring out the GIMP!